What I saw was a small pond fed by an underground spring. Surrounding the pond were flat rocks. I am sure I had a look of horror on my face when I realized this was the laundromat. There were a few women there already on their knees scrubbing their clothes on the rocks. In front of them was a rail made out of a fallen tree where they would hang their clothes to help drip some of the water out. Next to the pond was a square of bricks creating a roofless shelter. You climbed inside to get to the underground spring. This is where the people came to get their drinking water. They would bring their horses weighed down with big jugs or they would use two five gallon buckets hanging at each end of a stick by ropes which went across their back. The women also carried their laundry in this fashion. I eventually learned to adopt this way of carrying water and laundry as it was alot easier than the trying to look cool way. I decided I was not going to let them see I was a lazy American. I learned there is a technique to washing clothes on rocks and I was terrible at it. They showed me as best as they could with the language barrier how the process went but I was useless. I tried my best and then it was time to go. No problem. This is when I realized carrying a bucket of wet clothes up the side of a mountain especially when you are not used to the altitude is not so easy. I was not feeling so cool now, all dressed up, panting like a dog trying to get up a hill. I was desperately trying to keep them from seeing that I was dying. Yeah, good luck with that. Finally, I made it to the top after hiding behind a few trees to catch my breath and cry. We then hung out our clothes in the yard the old fashioned way to dry. Some people took me out to explore some nearby caves. The Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park. The caves are on the side of a cliff. You climb down stairs built out of the cliff to get to them and pass by water falling from the cliff as you get to the caves. I'm not much into caves but I was very interested and overwhelmed by the enormity of these caves. They are one of the largest cave systems in the world. At the end of the path that they created was a cross. The story is of an Englishman who came here in the early 1900's to explore the cave. He fell breaking his leg unable to move. His dog went to the entrance and howled looking for help. Due to their superstitious beliefs the people that heard the dog thought the man had died and that it was his ghost. Therefore he was left to die. They eventually found his remains as well as those of his dog lying next to him. The story is they buried them exactly where they found them. The story I found with the link below differs slightly from what I remember. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutas_de_Cacahuamilpa_National_Park
Once out of the caves you can continue going down winding steps to the river with two mouths. This is actually two separate underground rivers that come out of the cliff next two each other each creating their own waterfall. It is absolutely beautiful and there are so many yellow butterflies on the trees they look like flowers at first glance. I was also taken to get honey from the hives on some cliffs. They got the honey by taking a............................................
No comments:
Post a Comment